Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Commentary on Under One Nation

In the post by my colleague titled Roe vs. Wade Must End, the author was against abortion except for in situations such as rape, incest and the health of the mother. I am in complete agreement with this post. I have also researched this topic and I found a statistics page on abortion which reported that 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).. With that said I believe most women are not willing to deal with the consequences of their own actions. It is not a rare case for women to get pregnant after being sexually active. They knew they might get pregnant, but decided to be irresponsible anyway. The other side of abortion is that, not only does it murder the life inside of the mom, but it also endangers the life of the mother. I knew a woman who had two abortions and was told she would probably never be able to have children after that. That is not sad to me because I think someone who destroys the life inside of them should never have the privilege to carry another life again, but I am just trying to tell of the harm that is done to women's bodies when an abortion is done. I hope that one day abortion will be illegal, but it seems like our government is so concerned about rights that pretty soon it is going to be a citizen's rights to do whatever they please. I feel that the government is always giving people a way out to where they do not have to face all the consequences. If one knows they are going to have to face the consequences and there is no way out, then they would be less likely to commit the actions in the first place.

No comments: